[Owasp-leaders] The OWASP Periodic Table Project

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Tue Mar 5 20:44:16 UTC 2013

On 5 Mar 2013, at 20:35, Eoin wrote:

> So the periodic table is a list of vulns right? Best we share the work
> we did on the owasp common numbering system?

Not a list of vulns, the periodic table is a taxonomy of similarities.
Gases, liquids, solids etc… I imagine a taxonomy of vulns: input
validation, authorisation, access control, etc.. (the top 10 controls?)
Within the taxonomy of gasses are air, and helium for example. I further
imagine that input validation will have XSS & SQLi for example. I would
further imagine that the OWASP periodic table has its own shape that
doesn't much resemble the actual periodic table…

so I see it as a project to group known issues according to related root
causes.

Is this how others view this project?

Dennis

--
[Dennis Groves](http://about.me/dennis.groves), MSc
[Email me](mailto:dennis.groves at owasp.org) or [schedule a

*This email is licensed under a [CC BY-ND
3.0](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/deed.en_GB) license.*

**Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents.**
Send [OpenDocument](http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/) instead!
Stand up for your freedom to install [free
software](http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot/statement).