[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top 10 Methodology

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Sun Mar 3 21:07:22 UTC 2013

Well. The 3 year cycle has worked well in the past (in my opinion) for several reasons:

1)      The field does evolve pretty quick but I don’t think the Top 10 Risks substantially change every single year. So I think every year is a bit too much.

2)      It takes A LOT of work to produce an update to the Top 10, and so spacing it out balances between the effort to produce and the amount of change you’d see when its updated.

3)      Lots of organizations, tools, etc. organize to the Top 10, so if it was published every single year, then everyone that chooses to align themselves to each update would have to do that work every year.

a.       And if it didn’t change much, I think there would be a lot of update/announcement fatigue.

b.      And if changed A LOT each year, then I think the community would think we were crazy.

So, that’s why we’ve stuck with a 3 year cycle since 2004.  Sound like a good FAQ item.

-Dave

 <mailto:jerry at owasp.org> jerry at owasp.org

On Mar 2, 2013, at 4:15 PM, Michael Coates < <mailto:michael.coates at owasp.org> michael.coates at owasp.org> wrote:

Leaders,

The OWASP Top 10 Methodology wiki page (as described in the below email) is now live - <https://owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2013/ProjectMethodology> https://owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2013/ProjectMethodology

As you'll see in the first line of the wiki - "The goal of this page is to provide the baseline of knowledge to begin a thoughtful conversation of enhancements and changes to continue growing the OWASP top 10."

Next Steps:

- Have ideas on how we can enhance the methodology? Please add it here <https://owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2013/ProjectMethodology#Suggested_Enhancements> https://owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2013/ProjectMethodology#Suggested_Enhancements

- We'll then begin making changes based on these ideas

Overall Goal:

Increase participation, enhance methodology, and continue to grow the excellent OWASP top 10 resource

Thanks for everyone's hard work so far on the Top 10 and all the good ideas that have been floating around. I'm confident we can all work together as a community to make this next top 10 awesome.  I look forward to continuing this conversation with everyone.

--
Michael Coates | OWASP | @_mwc
 <http://michael-coates.blogspot.com/> michael-coates.blogspot.com

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Michael Coates < <mailto:michael.coates at owasp.org> michael.coates at owasp.org> wrote:

Leaders & Top 10 Enthusiasts,

Dave and I had a great conversation today about the Top 10 and some of the questions that have been posed by many in our owasp community.

We're going to build a wiki page that describes the overall project methodology of the owasp top 10, what's currently happening, suggestions for improvements, and an FAQ.

The project has continually grown over the various releases and has successfully attracted more worldwide attention. As we've grown as an organization we've seen many new ways to further open the top 10 and invite greater participation.

This methodology wiki page will help clarify the activities to date and provide a feedback channel to continue growing.

Please look for this page later this week. It would have been great for me to include the completed page with this email, but it will take a day or two and I wanted to send this info to the list now.

Thanks!