[Owasp-leaders] Developers vs. Security Pros

Patrick Laverty patrick.laverty at owasp.org
Wed Jun 19 14:32:26 UTC 2013

Thanks for all the responses. One of Simon's points stuck out for me and
I'm hoping other chapter leaders can help with it. Simon suggested:

"* Have talks specifically aimed at developers"

What sorts of talks do you hold that gets developers to show up? Do you go
over a specific OWASP Cheat Sheet? Teach SQL Injection or XSS and its
prevention? From any of the other leaders here, what types of
developer-focused talks have you had that did attract the developers? Or is
attracting them really  more organic than that?

Personally, I get anywhere from 5 to 15 attendees at my meetings. However,
twice I have held what I call "Hands On Hacking". I ask everyone to bring
their own laptop, I bring in my own wireless network, loaded with Jeremy
Druin and Adrian Crenshaw's NOWASP/Mutillidae, then I talk about one of the
Top 10 (i.e. SQL Injection) for about 20 minutes and then give them a set
of challenges against the web app. For these meetings, I consistently get
over 30 attendees. So yes, you're all right that the "breaking" is far
sexier to people and that's what everyone wants to do. However, I just hope
that as people are breaking these things, they're also thinking "Wow, this
is easy. Is it that easy on my applications and I should go audit my sites
and fix them."

But back to the question. What developer-focused talks do you hold at your
chapter meetings that are successful?

Thank you all.

Patrick Laverty
OWASP Rhode Island Chapter