[Owasp-leaders] Owasp HIVE Project

Rogan Dawes rogan at dawes.za.net
Tue Jun 11 18:20:00 UTC 2013

On 2013/06/11 4:35 PM, Jason Johnson wrote:
> Dear Leaders and everyone,
>     Before I start the v 1.0 of this HIVE project I have been up at
> night thinking about how to power this and also cluster configuration. I
> found out that BeagleBone is back and its BLACK. Now im torn... On one
> hand I like RaspberryPI for one thing only. PRICE...Now beaglebone is
> just 10$ more and with x2 the processing power. It also has micro
> everything USB,HDMI,SD-CARD... So RaspberryPI 35 - BeagleBone 45
>     My question to you all is what to do? Should I stay with the
> RaspberryPI or use BeagleBone? I think the beaglebone could be better is
> some aspects because in testing SIEGE tests could only go up to around
> 75 users but this is 2x faster and we all know more power means better
> experiences. Also they place the chips better so less heat it may last
> longer.
> I want to get this project out ASAP but I also want quality. If I slap a
> OWASP logo on it I want it to last for years. Maybe I should test them
> both side by side? I do not want to order 10 RaspberryPI's and then down
> the road think damn I should have bought the BeagleBone for this project.
> The thread
> http://www.element14.com/community/thread/23575
> This is what it looks like. (One key feature is the shield adapter....So
> we can develop hack shilds or hardware firewalls)

Hi Jason,

Without going into the detail of exactly what you are trying to achieve
with this project, I can mention that a colleague has been evaluating
the Raspberry Pi and the BeagleBone (non-black) for a wireless project,
and discovered that the Beagle was superior in many ways, not least CPU,
but including things like USB power, etc.

If performance and reliability are high on the list of priorities, I'd
be inclined to go for the BeagleBone Black instead of the Pi.

2c (ZAR)

Rogan