[Owasp-leaders] (Why the need to enable the use of OWASP chapter funds) Re: Membership funds

Dinis Cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Fri Jun 7 13:18:54 UTC 2013

Yes I'm saying that, that would be a great use of OWASP or GSD funds.

It would be great to have all those PIs available, specially since other OWASP leaders might find other cool uses of it.

Ok, so can you update the GSD page with your request and start figuring out the best place to buy the PIs from.

Dinis Cruz

On 7 Jun 2013, at 14:05, Jason Johnson <jason.johnson at owasp.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> it puts an 'artificial' timeline on the use of funds allocated (i.e. there is a 'pressure' to deliver)
>> it helps to find the OWASP leaders who know how to spend OWASP funds and make magic happen (like Fabio with the Latam and EU tours)
>> It empowers action, and promotes the idea that 'we trust our chapter leaders to do the right thing'
>> it documents the places where OWASP funds are used (making those ideas/actions easy to replicated)
>> it also documents the failed experiments (which are healthy, but don't need to be repeated :)  ).
>> it stops the 'ownership of funds' and 'lets keep it in a safe place' that we currently have
>> It can dramatically simplify how the funds are accessed since there will be a central point of contact and pot (with better/faster processes that world worldwide)
>> it turns up the volume/pressure on the '% of OWASP funds used',  since everytime something that could happen, doesn't happen, OWASP misses an opportunity (and we need some 'urgency' and focus on 'not lossing those opportunities).
>> See the rules I wrote down at the GSD project for how this could work in practice.
>>
>> Like I mentioned before, I don't really care about where the money is, and what percentages there are in place (in fact history is showing us how divisive those splits can be). The point is that OWASP Funds MUST be available to Who wants to use them!
>>
>> And as I listed in I wish that OWASP in 2014 ...., it would be great that one day we will have at OWASP:
>> a model where OWASP leaders are empowered to make financial decisions/commitments and spend the available OWASP funds in the way they believe is best, with no (very little) questions asked and very fast approval cycles (see the GSD project for details)
>>
>> Dinis Cruz
>>
>> Blog: http://diniscruz.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/DinisCruz
>> Web: http://www.owasp.org/index.php/O2
>>

>> On 6 June 2013 17:35, Tim <tim.morgan at owasp.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, this is what came to my mind as well.  Incorporating Dinis
>>> suggestion and some of my own ideas, what about this:
>>>
>>> Individual membership dues: 75% to chapter, 25% to foundation
>>> Corporate membership dues: 25% to chapter, 75% to foundation
>>> Conference/event profits: 25% to chapter, 75% to foundation
>>>
>>> Let C be the chapter funds "soft" cap
>>> Let P be the shared chapter pool "hard" cap
>>>
>>> Once per year, do the following:
>>>  For any chapter with funds greater than C, move %50 of any excess
>>>  funds C into a shared chapter pool
>>>
>>>  If the the chapter pool is greater than P, move all excess funds to
>>>  the global foundation
>>>

>>> Any chapters can "overdraw" their chapter account and pull from the
>>> chapter pool.  Perhaps some kind of limit should be put on how much
>>> any given chapter pulls from the shared pool in a year.
>>>

>>> Reasoning:
>>>
>>> I think individual membership dues are important to keep with the
>>> chapter.  It encourages contribution and participation at the local
>>> level.  Corporate membership is probably not quite the same in that