[Owasp-leaders] OWASP "Certification"

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Wed Jul 3 08:04:18 UTC 2013

On 3 Jul 2013, at 0:12, Tobias Glemser wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> what is our goal? Make money or keep up the fantastic work of
> volunteers
> which made the brand what it is today.

I believe our goal is very clear, it is definitely a machine to enable
volunteers! And in a perfect world we could pursue our altruism
exclusively. Unfortunately, we live in a world that requires money to
pursue our mission.

They say you have to be able to help yourself before you can help
another person.
Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are arguably able to help more people than
you and I through their notorious charities, which are enabled a result
of their wealth.

Similarly for a non-profit like OWASP; if we do not pay the bills - we
are not going to be able to help anybody for very long. Therefore, I do
not see the question as an XOR as you described above; I see it as AND -
how do we marry our mission and money?

Let me ask you another question - do you think we should fire the
employee's or do you think they create value for the organisation? Do
you think things like AppSec conferences are valuable to the community
or should we abandon them? What about having world class speakers, speak
at your local chapter like Jim Manico, Dinis Cruz, John Wilander or
Jerry Hoff through 'OWASP on the move'??

Did you know that our 'sponsorships and memberships' are not paying the
bills? Did you know we finance OWASP entirely through the AppSec
conferences? Did you know that if we loose money at any AppSec event,
OWASP faces bankruptcy and may fail to exist entirely?

All that stuff costs money, and there is so much, much more we could do
if we had more money! Currently, OWASP operates on a very nearly break
even basis. If we want to do more, we need more money! Licensing the
brand is one very obvious and low maintenance way to provide that
revenue so we can do more awesome stuff at OWASP!

Did you know that we pay Matt only $12k per year to maintain the entire
IT operations of OWASP? Matt works a full-time job elsewhere and takes
his personal holidays to volunteer for OWASP. This time belongs to him
and his family, not to OWASP! While I am very grateful for his service,
Matt totally deserves a living wage, and OWASP should be providing him
time with his family on his holidays not taking it from him! In fact he
really should have enough money to hire some relief! While Matt does an
incredible job for the community, I think that OWASP can and should be
doing much better than this.

And, that is a single example, I could go on for days… And I have no
doubt that I am not alone in how money can be used to make OWASP better.

Josh Sokol, for example has one of the most successful and profitable
OWASP chapters in the United States, and he very definitely knows how
his chapter benefits from money, but he also knows how to make those
investments support OWASP. His chapter recently provided $150k to the
OWASP foundation, which is being used to enable AppSec New York. Without
Josh, OWASP would be much poorer indeed. Josh is a chapter leader we can
all learn from, and I bet he runs his chapter like a business.

As a community I believe we need to accept the fact that when OWASP
profits, we are all in a much better position to pursue our altruistic
mission.

Dennis

--
[Dennis Groves](http://about.me/dennis.groves), MSc