[Owasp-leaders] OWASP "Certification"

Boris Hemkemeier boris at owasp.org
Tue Jul 2 21:22:06 UTC 2013

Can not agree.  "Free marketing for OWASP"? What is the stronger brand
in web app security? Qualis or OWASP?

Of course, "OWASP" is the stronger brand! That's the reason for quoting
OWASP. Qualys writes about an "OWASP Web App Audit" (see
https://www.qualys.com/forms/freescan/owasp/ ) which *looks* like an
OWASP product or standard but it is not. They could write about a "free
scan for vulnerabilities from the OWASP Top Ten (R)" but they do not.

IMHO their web page is a violation of the OWASP brand usage rules
(https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_brand_usage_rules), in particular
of Rule 4 "The OWASP Brand may be used in association with an
application security assessment only if a complete and detailed
methodology, sufficient to reproduce the results, is disclosed. "

  Boris