[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top 10 - Proposal for a Temporary Injunction

vanderaj vanderaj vanderaj at owasp.org
Wed Feb 27 02:41:13 UTC 2013

Jerry, Michael, I agree with you it should have not popped out as it did,
but I wouldn't attribute malice to where someone just got 'er done. I did
the same thing recently with the ASVS 2.0. I would definitely love for the
Top 10 to be evidence based and have a consensus based methodology.

(For historical purposes only and my memory is pretty shocking for the most
part). For the Top 10 2007 edition, I formulated the methodology of using
public statistics with Raoul Endres at a pho restaurant in Melbourne. We
decided on evidence based Top 10, rather than what turned out I assumed to
be pretty darned good guesses in the 2004 edition. To that end, I asked for
and obtained Steve Christey's early data that is essentially the CVE stats
of 2006 in electronic format.

The main difference between the last draft I was sole author on and the
final versions with everyone's input was the removal of some evidence based
controls such as certain access controls, in favor of two crypto issues. I
put in CSRF deliberately. I'm deliberately made sure the methodology and
why CSRF was added as a choice ("Why we have added some important issues").

The document went through several private and then several public
iterationsbefore
setting on final drafts. I have about 10 drafts in my OWASP folder if
anyone wants to see them (so far, no one has ever asked me for them). I
have the raw data if anyone wants it (and no one asked for it AFAIK),
assuming Steve is okay with me releasing it (you can now get that data in
XML format directly from NIST). I probably should have asked Steve nicely
if we could release it in some form other than a synthesis than keep it
hidden.

[image: Inline image 2][image: Inline image 1]
thanks,
Andrew