[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top 10 - 2013 Release Candidate Now Available

Konstantinos Papapanagiotou konstantinos at owasp.org
Tue Feb 19 20:30:39 UTC 2013

On 19 Φεβ 2013, at 17:12, Jim Manico <jim.manico at owasp.org> wrote:

>> Look at webgoat lessons. - every lesson has the creators company logo. Should we remove these also?
>
> Absolutely! This is not NASCAR, this is a not for profit charitable,
> altruistic organization where serving the community at the expense of
> personal gain in a vendor-neutral way is the norm.
>
> And PS: Bruce Mayhew continues to support WebGoat in his free time and
> he works for a different company now. WebGoat 5.4 actually removed
> some of the sponsorship garbage and future versions will do so to an
> even greater extent.

Jim, as far as I know sometime in the past Aspect actually donated Webgoat to OWASP. if I'm right they have all the right to brand it as an Aspect tool until the end of the world.

> I'm lucky enough to have traveled the world and visited a large number
> of chapters along the way. I also track several dozen active OWASP
> projects. I also consulted a non-profit speciality lawyer before
> joining the board. I'm not shooting from the hip here, I'm well
> prepared, I did my homework, and I'm not picking this fight lightly.

In all honesty and with all due respect, I could not care less about all the legal chit-chat of how non-profits have to function in America. I think we are quite different than a typical American non-profit. Do not take me wrong here, this discussion is much deeper and profound than any law or regulation.

Kostas