[Owasp-leaders] Vendor Neutrality

Victor Chapela victor at sm4rt.com
Tue Feb 19 15:55:56 UTC 2013

Jim,

I believe the most important (and difficult) achievement at OWASP has been to integrate a widespread membership and the support of thousands od individuals. Even though we would like everyone of them to give their time and efforts in a completely selfless way and with a greater good in mind, my experience is that there is not such thing as a free lunch.

We have to allow different levels of gain by individuals and companies, while at the same time limiting abuse. There are very few pure altruistic persons with deep knowledge, economic freedom and enough spare time to make significant contributions. But if we add all those that would do it for some kind of public recognition the base broadens. The spectrum of expected outcomes from involvement with OWASP range from the completely altruistic to the completely selfish. And all of them can contribute to OWASP. I do not believe it is ment for selfish individuals, but at the same time I cannot see how focusing on giving nothing back to those who contribute could possibly increase our ability to make the world a better place.

We should strive to align incentives and find ways to recognize the efforts of all stakeholders within OWASP, while at the same time limiting abuse. And I only believe abuse should be limited because this in turn reduces the incentives of other stakeholders to continue contributing. If we change the question we may add more value. How can we properly align incentives to help more individuals and companies contribute with OWASP?

Victor