[Owasp-leaders] OWASP front page

psiinon psiinon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 08:42:02 UTC 2013

As I mentioned on a recent 'Global Initiatives' call, I'm really not a fan
of the current front page.
I think its a mess - too much content and not enough useful information.
And it doesnt look like I'm the only one:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3540652/what-is-owasp-exactly/3540667#3540667
We should be asking ourselves:

   - Who do we think is going to use the OWASP web site (or who do we want
   to use it;)
   - What will they be looking for?

Lets have a set of target users, and then come up with the sort of things
we think they'll want to know.
I dont claim any great expertise in this type of thing, but some of the
things I'd like to see:

   - Simple, easy to read text - leave the "(OWASP) is a 501(c)(3)
   worldwide not-for-profit charitable" legalese off the front page
   - A series of questions to help people find the content they are looking
   for, eg:
      - New to appsec?
         - C level executive? - start here
         - Developer? - start here
         - etc
         - Security professional?
         - Looking for an OWASP Project - start here
         - etc
      - More prominence for flagship projects - arent these the ones people
   should start with?
   - Move the corporate logos on to a 'supporters' page

It sounds like a revamp of the homepage is being planned, but I thought I'd
open the can of worms anyway and see what other suggestions people have :)

Cheers,

Simon

--
OWASP ZAP <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/ZAP> Project leader