[Owasp-leaders] Vendor Neutrality

John Wilander john.wilander at owasp.org
Fri Feb 15 19:41:04 UTC 2013

Let me explain why we moderate our chapter mailing list.

We have over 900 members on our joint mailing list (Stockholm + Gothenburg chapters). The list had to stay virtually silent to keep all those people on the list for meeting announcements. Therefore it's moderated. We have a separate discussion list which is unmoderated.

Moderation helps us keep emails relevant and non-commercial. We for instance allow Swedish universities to announce open PhD positions in application security. The last such email had accidentally bundled several non-appsec PhD positions. Moderators caught it and kindly asked the sender to only include the relevant information. He happily did in a new, accepted email.

On another occasion a "security pub" was announced. We allow cross-posting from other non-profits in security. However, there was going to be demos at the meetup and one of them was announced as more or less bashing Microsoft products. Moderators asked the sender to remove bad mouthing of the company since that's not in the spirit of OWASP. They did and the email was accepted.

That's how we work.

   Regards, John

--
My music http://www.johnwilander.com