[Owasp-leaders] Vendor Neutrality

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Thu Feb 14 16:36:59 UTC 2013

Thank you Jason.

> OWASP is an idea, we all have tons of them but we will never make you pay for them.

Thank you, this statement means a lot to me as well. I have my personal limits of what I can handle commercially at OWASP. In the spirit of the mission, I have been delivering free developer security training at different OWASP events. I think this is directly in line with our mission.

I've been told that I might be restricted from doing this moving forward, because it marginalizes our paid-for training.

If my hand is forced to stop doing this free training, I will have deemed OWASP to have jumped the shark and I will move on and throw my energy into BSides or the like.

We are starting to worry about money, vendor relations and commercialization to much as a non profit, in my opinion. I think we all need to be reminded on a regular basis that OWASP is ethically and legally a non-for-profit organization whose is legally bound to serve the community before personal or organizational gain.

Aloha,
Jim