[Owasp-leaders] Vendor Neutrality

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Thu Feb 14 15:31:33 UTC 2013

> Even folks on this list who give
away "free" classes are simply obtaining contacts for consultancy and
product sales down the road.

I've been doing significant free training in the OWASP community. For
example, Eoin and I are delivering a large free training at RSA and
they offered us a badge zapper for lead collection. We said "No way,
this is an OWASP event where we are representing OWASP. No way."

Folks may not agree with my stance here and I'm ok with that, but I
try to practice what I preach. Heck Eric, I've sponsored Chapter
meetings and brought sales folks from my employer (everyone is free to
participate) with me, but I ask them not to pitch and not to bring
marketing material, even when they sponsor food. Just listen and meet
folks.

My philosophy is: contribute, serve the OWASP mission, respect the
ethical guidelines, and deliver free talks and trainings in a vendor
neutral way. This is NOT being goody-2-shoes, it's also good for
business. Folks want to do business with you when you respect OWASP
and demonstrate appropriate ethics.

And yes, my affiliation with OWASP has radically helped my career and
I've personally done well the past few years. This is why I started
2012 by contributing 1000$ of my personal funds to OWASP. I challenge
the board and other leaders who can afford it to do the same.

Also, the board has a legal/fiduciary and financial responsibility to
uphold the principles of a non-profit 501c3. We have been audited by
accountants in the past who said we were ok. But there are things that
accountants looking at numbers on paper will never see.

I for one am going to continue to do my best as a board member (and
just as someone who really loves OWASP) to uphold the values of vendor
neutrality.

--
Jim Manico
@Manicode