[Owasp-leaders] announcement

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Sun Feb 10 23:44:54 UTC 2013

Thank you everyone for the multiple congratulations.

@Colin:  I am older then you may think.  My young appearance, which
was annoying when I was in my 20s, is finally paying dividends.  ; )

@ Jason: Funny enough, a couple of weeks ago when OWASP's wiki became
unresponsive after what appeared to be a variant of the slow POST attacks,
I used the downtime to apt-get update the server before I bounced it.  Why
not make the most of being offline, right?

I'm looking forward to getting all the servers into top shape, getting
patch management automated as much as possible, and setting up regular
virtual machine and file level backups in place.  I want OWASP to have a
rock solid IT foundation on which to progress on its mission.

We still need to get the basic blocking and tackling in place -  sorry, all
the non-US readers for using an American football analogy.  I guess that
would be dribbling and kicking for what the rest of the world calls
football - and we call soccer.

I'm taking time to fully document our systems so that I am imminently
replace-able without a major impact to OWASP.  I spent some time looking at
our Mailman install (lists.owasp.org).  Here's some interesting numbers for
you:

OWASP lists metrics:
Total number of lists: 605
Total membership of owasp-leaders: 651
Total membership of owasp-all: 36,133
Total requests to be excluded from owasp-all: 11
Total requests to be excluded from owasp-leaders: 4
Number of lists without a description: 317
% of lists without a description: 52.4%
Number of members with a full name provided: 25,016
% of members providing a full name: 69.2%
     [sums taken on 2013-02-09]

I'm also looking forward to using the Global Initiatives effort to find
volunteers to help with OWASP's IT needs.  I've been spending part of my
first couple of days getting a good plan down to harden up OWASP IT
infrastructure as well as find ways to get more of the community involved
where there's need and willing volunteers.

Look for more news from me in the coming weeks.  With a little luck, our IT
will be humming along and won't even be noticed except for the lack of
problems.  Being invisible is the best sign that IT is really working.

Cheers!

--
-- Matt Tesauro
OWASP WTE Project Lead