[Owasp-leaders] Password complexity guidance

Boris Hemkemeier boris at owasp.org
Mon Dec 16 19:10:21 UTC 2013

Michael,

thanks for starting the discussion and the opportunity to add a "disagree"
:-)

Please let me mention another aspect to this discussion. OWASP's main goal
is building more secure (web) applications. IMHO enforcing "better"
password policies is an another approach. It  moves the work load and the
responsility to run a secure web app from the web app owner to the user.

Example: there are a lot of press publications about "weak" passwords on
the occasion of the <insert here the name of one of OWASP's corporate
members> breach. Actually loosing the password hash database was the
vendor's and not the customers' fault. A lot of customers considers such an
account is a necessity only to run the software of this vendor and the
account has no (feeled) important value. From the customers point of "risk
management" it is rational to choose a password which is easy to remember.

In fact it is in the responsibilty of the web app owner to

- take care of the password verification data (i.e. hashes) and to protect
their confidentiality. OWASP contributes a lot of best practices to achieve
this.

- to protect the web app against brute force password guessing via the web
UI. Can we give some advice to this problem?

IMHO enforcing the user to increase password entropy by is not the right
way you are looking for. A typical user has 40 - 80 different accounts
based on passwords they shouldn't share (and they shouldn't share as we can
see in the example above). In real life security depends on the usability.

However I agree that there are also very common passwords in the wild which
should be avoided. A proactive password checking against very very weak
password can be helpfully.  If a web app is rejecting reject common
password then there is some need for comprehensible error messages ("Your
password contains an English word.").

There are some research publications about password security from the last
years. A good overview can be found in Peter Gutmann's "Engineering
Security" avaible for free at
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/book.pdf (draft copy) .

Boris