[Owasp-leaders] Password complexity guidance

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Wed Dec 11 19:14:40 UTC 2013

We've been discussing this quite a bit lately at work due to the federation
of internal identities to cloud-based applications.  Obviously, best
practice is to use some sort of multi-factor authentication so that a
password alone isn't the only defense.  That said, where time, money, or
other issues prevent you from doing more than just "something you know"
authentication, I agree that passphrases are probably better, but the devil
is in the details.

Take Microsoft Active Directory for example.  Your options for passwords
basically boils down to two things: 1) Length and 2) Complexity.  In terms
of complexity, it's a check box.  You either have it enabled as a policy or
you do not.  When enabled, you can't guarantee random, but at least you can
guarantee a larger character set because you have to have at least three of
the four of upper, lower, digits, and special characters.  When disabled,
however, like you'd probably want to do for passphrases like "correct horse
battery staple" (all lower case words plus space character, no upper, no
digits), you no longer have the policy in place to prevent stupid passwords
like "password" or "passwordpassword" or "password12345678...."

So, while I agree with what you're saying, that passphrases are easier to
remember and ideally just as secure, I wouldn't issue any sort of guidance
on that until validation technologies exist to actually enforce secure
passphrases just like they already exist to enforce secure passwords.  Make
sense?

~josh