[Owasp-leaders] OWASP PPTX presentation template - propose to change/revise

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Fri Aug 16 07:23:42 UTC 2013

I essentially, agree. And, I have been working on a number of LaTeX
templates.

The AppSensor deck is made with a custom style for Beamer.
I have also been working on a template (attached NoBeamer) that doesn't
use beamer.

I would happily welcome the communities feedback, and if it is generally
acceptable, I will be happy put on Github and allow the community to
fork and use with a community friendly license…

Cheers,

Dennis

On 15 Aug 2013, at 9:38, Tobias wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> not sure whether others out there share the same feeling, but I would
> like to propose to revisit and change our latest presentation
> powerpoint
> template.
>
> The last few weeks I prepared a lot of OWASP presentations and took
> the
> effort to do everything with our "new" ppt template from last year.
> And
> I feel there are a number of practical design problems with our latest
> ppt/pptx template. So I would like to propose to revise it.
>
> Just in case you are wondering which one I mean, this is it:
> https://www.owasp.org/images/7/76/OWASP_Presentation_Template.zip
> (btw. I noticed, quite a number of people are still using an older ppt
> design template...)
>
> On first glance, the new design looks cool and modern, but IMHO it has
> number of practical flaws that make it very hard to work with:
>
> 1. the title page:
> the page has a dark blue background with a white image in the centre.
> So, if you write a title over several lines with white characters (as
> you are supposed by the template) on that, it becomes partially very
> hard to read (i.e. read white char on white background... ) - note: I
> experimented with various font colours, and none really works.
> Although
> red would work, but that is not a good font colour for a title page,
> either. So the key is to change the background image to something more
> homogeneous.
> - the subtitle section is a problem, too. The grey font is equally not
> very good to read - though I totally get it why the designer chose
> grey
> - because you can't use white as half the background is white and you
> can't use black or dark font colour as half the background for the
> subtitle is dark blue) - so grey is a compromise, but hard to read on
> both. Again best would be to change the background image or shape.
>
> 2. normal pages:
> the wave like design of the title bar looks cool, but:
> - it takes a lot of space of the slide (much more than many other
> templates)
> - due to the fact that it is mixed light/dark design, you can use for
> the slide title only the upper right corner, or you run in the same
> problem as with the title slide (light char on light background is
> impossible to read). So the space is very limited and you have to do
> multi-line titles which takes too much space from the slide.
> The large curvy title bar on the normal slides also does not go so
> well
> with graphics (which then cut or overlay the design).
>

> My suggestions are:
> Make a design revamp. Either with small changes or complete revamp.
> 1. reduce or change the white "lock" image on the title slide
> 2. don't have large areas of mixed light and dark background if you
> [...]

[Dennis Groves](http://about.me/dennis.groves), MSc
[Email me](mailto:dennis.groves at owasp.org) or [schedule a
meeting](http://goo.gl/8sPIy).

     Unless someone like you...cares a whole awful lot...
     nothing is going to get better...It's not."
                                             -- The Lorax