[Owasp-leaders] Using XMLDecoder to execute server-side Java Code on an Restlet application (i.e. Remote Command Execution)

Rogan Dawes rogan at dawes.za.net
Tue Aug 6 14:29:53 UTC 2013

I wasn't aware that this was possible. Nice work!

I'd be very interested in seeing how a Security Manager can be used to
sandbox a class like this.

If you restrict it to elementary Objects such as String, Integer,
Boolean, Float, etc, and Collection classes such as Map and List, I
suspect that you should not be able to do too much damage. How would you
get a reference to the application code, anyway, to attack the
application assets?

Rogan