[Owasp-leaders] OWASP's New Executive Director - process?

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Sat Apr 13 22:30:38 UTC 2013

Jim,

hm, thanks for the answer to my question #2.
I read your answer as: at the current moment a replacement hire for
Sarah's previous role is not planned.

And not sure whether your first part of your email is intended to be an
answer to my first question of "Would you mind to share some information
about the process you used for this?"

Actually, although I don't like "private meetings" too much, I am less
concerned about them as such, as long as the process itself is clear and
is being communicated openly and allows community input (e.g. the JD and
required qualifications and responsibilities and on the process, not the
individual candidates). In this case I was quite surprised by how fast
we moved from creation of the ED role to announcement of filling it. You
did this in just 90 hours. Which is probably the fastest I have ever
seen and makes me quite curious to find out what process you used. I
have hired a number of people in the past and so far this is the fastest
process I have ever seen, which raises a few simple questions:
- at that speed, was there some kind of selection process already before
the announcement of the new role and what was that?
- did you have a JD (job description) with the outlined needed
qualifications, experience, skills? (I saw the role description with the
responsibilities of the role, but that doc didn't have any information
on what person you are looking for), did you have a certain salary range
in mind? etc.
- How many candidates did you consider? (and were there any applications
from the community in these 90hours?)
- And depending on the number of applications you had, how did you
determine the match and for what reason did you choose to not ask for
further applications from the community?
- How many interviews did you conduct, how many board members were
involved in the interview process?

I find your last sentence about the distribution of power interesting.
And that seizing of new power sounds an alarm for you. Maybe a thought:
taking a step back it seems what just happened is that in fact we did
concentrate power from a group of elected people (the board) to one
individual (the ED), and note: our other staff's power has probably also
been reduced in relationship to the ED. I am not debating whether this
is right or wrong in this case (as one might argue that the board needs
to choose to delegate this power due to time constraints and/or lack of
own personal capability). But using your own concept, as we concentrated
power in one individual role, we should be very careful and as open as
possible (of course within the legal boundaries) with the process of
doing so?

So I would be really interested to learn a little bit about the process
OWASP used in the selection.

Best wishes, Tobias

Ps.: and again: Let me be clear I am making no statement about the
decision itself or Sarah's qualification for this role.