[Owasp-leaders] OWASP "branded" apps in application stores

Dinis Cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Tue Apr 2 21:56:00 UTC 2013

Ok, then do it

As I mentioned in my last post (and blog entry) OWASP can take the (potential) financial hit

I actually think that the opposite will happen, and OWASP's revenues will go up (not down)

Dinis Cruz

On 2 Apr 2013, at 15:53, Jim Manico <jim.manico at owasp.org> wrote:

>> I like that model too, and that is something that OWASP should do (ban/limit all logos usage on owasp.org website)
>
> Agreed. We still need to honor our sponsors, perhaps just move them to a dedicated sponsorship page like Apache? And for bonus points I'd also like to kill the banner ads.
>
>> But again, that wouldn't prevent the commercial use (or resell) of OWASP materials by 3rd parties :)
>
> I agree. Especially for BSD licensed OWASP projects, they are MEANT for commercial use. If folks on the outside want to use the OWASP brand in their projects, that's a fight for another day I think. I'm only concerned about how OWASP presents itself to the world for now, especially around projects.
>
> Again, see http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs and http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility.html (particularly the section on "Present an independent face to your project")
>
> Aloha,
> Jim
>

>> Dinis Cruz
>>
>> On 2 Apr 2013, at 15:30, Jim Manico <jim.manico at owasp.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I *really* like how Apache handles this. They really thought this through and spent years battling the same issues regarding vendor neutrality.
>>>
>>> Here are the basics:
>>>
>>> 1) Sponsors of Apache and recognized on ONE page only: http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html
>>> 2) All Apache projects link back to this sponsorship page.
>>> 3) Corporate logos are not allowed on any Apache project