[Owasp-leaders] Wiki Ninja

Curtis Koenig curtis.koenig at owasp.org
Tue Apr 2 17:09:41 UTC 2013

I would like to raise some concerns with the email list. I agree with Simon
in that a forum is likely a better choice. They are searchable for one,
where email is not. And the process of receiving email, responding, posting
the best to some wiki is highly manual and could be a real barrier to
people getting involved in small ways where they can. Formus have the
advantage of being able to have the best answers voted on and discoverable,
allowing people to participate in small ways and if the forum allows it,
anonymously with multiple accounts. Email lists tend to be opaque and have
the inferred aura of exclusivity.

It may just be that the idea when tried before was ahead of its time or the
forum method chosen was just not the right one. But forums like stack
exchange and reddit have become fairly ubiquitous, popular and have the
advantages named above. I think it behooves us to rethink using a forum in
favor of an email list.