[Owasp-leaders] OWASP "branded" apps in application stores

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Tue Apr 2 14:10:28 UTC 2013

On 02/04/2013 14:48, Dinis Cruz wrote:
> There is nothing wrong with using OWASP materials for financial gain,
> in fact our licenses encourage that.
>
> The only issue is if the material created are not public/open, which
> in some cases is against the licence of the original material (Apache
> 2 allows closing but GPL doesn't)
>
> Now on the 'TOP 10 LogoGate thread' it is an issue of 'who put the
> work in' and 'what is accepted by the community' :)
The NASCAR like corporate branding of OWASP materials is both ugly, and
unnecessary. There must be a better way forward. Branding is offensive
and aggressive.

OWASP is a charity - you don't feed children in Africa by first making
them watch Monsanto, Kellog's and McDonald's advertisements so they know
who their 'food' was provided by. Instead you tell people who care by
pointing out your charity work.

Dennis

--

Dennis Groves <http://about.me/dennis.groves>, MSc
Email me <mailto:dennis.groves at owasp.org> or schedule a meeting

/This email is licensed under a CC BY-ND 3.0
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/deed.en_GB> license./

*Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents.*
Send OpenDocument <http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/> instead!
Stand up for your freedom to install free software
<http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot/statement>.

    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is
    wrong with the world. -- Paul Farmer