[Owasp-leaders] What is OWASP?

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Tue Oct 2 12:42:04 UTC 2012

Prashant,

I think this is a fair comment. If your magazine is truly
non-commercial (no ads, run by volunteers, creative-commons/
ShareAlike content) then I feel asking the OWASP community for support
is appropriate.

My personal crusade is to cleanse OWASP of vendor bias, which I feel
has been a systemic problem for years. I doubt I'll ever win this
fight but I will keep trying.

I feel that several leaders simply cannot stop themselves from touting
their commercial offerings on this and other OWASP lists. It's
shameful to me.

The big secret is, if you just do the right thing (put your personal
commercial interests aside and focus on community support) then folks
will naturally want to do business with you.

So for those of you who continue to splash your commercial interests
all over OWASP's lists and wiki - shame on you. You just don't get it.

OWASP is a non-profit community-service based organization. For those
of you who have donated content or time and feel that "OWASP owes you
something" think again and look up the words "service", "community",
"non-profit" and get back to me.

Thanks all.

--
Jim Manico