[Owasp-leaders] Open Tasks

Tom Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Mon Nov 26 15:31:15 UTC 2012

Perfect – that is the vision of Kate and crew for the:  https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Initiatives_Global_Strategic_Focus

From: William Stranathan [mailto:will at thestranathans.com]
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 10:06 AM
To: Tom Brennan
Cc: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] Open Tasks

Yes - that's close - something akin to the first - except at a project level.

Since it's a wiki, I might start working on a wiki page. So far, the following things have come up (forgive me if I'm missing anything):

* Complete work on REST Security cheatsheet and remove DRAFT status (in progress)

* ZAP Coding projects

* ZAP Translation

* ZAP tutorials

* ZAP help file updates

* Adoption of WebScarab

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Tom Brennan <tomb at owasp.org> wrote:

Would you want to see something like;

 http://owasp.force.com/volunteers/GW_Volunteers__VolunteersJobListing

As a result of

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Initiatives_Global_Strategic_Focus

Focused on projects

Tom Brennan

973-202-0122

On Nov 26, 2012, at 7:59 AM, William Stranathan <will at thestranathans.com> wrote:

I was going to call this "OWASP Help Wanted" or something like that, but that probably would have driven folks to the wrong conclusion.

I'm a member of a chapter which went belly-up several years ago. During its hiatus, I was asked on a number of occasions if there was a local OWASP chapter, and so about 2 years ago, we rebooted the chapter. I was convinced (and still am) that one of the primary reasons the chapter failed was because we had nothing to work on (or so we thought) and there was very little internal leadership to motivate us to work on something important.

Since the reboot, we've done a much better job of meeting regularly. Quarterly is not often enough as people tend to forget between meetings that we exist. So we meet monthly. We have a regular location, and a president who does an excellent job of keeping notifications going and maintaining the right relationships to keep us at our location.

But what we're still missing is a project to get behind. There's an OWASP project that was started by one of the students in the local university chapter, but at this point its maintenance is largely still done as doctorate research.

Is there on the Wiki anywhere a "Help wanted" section or "open tasks" or something? Anywhere from "REST Security cheatsheet needs work and to be published" to "the software for this project is complete, we need people to write documentation" to "we've written the software and documentation, now need a video tutorial". While I believe that having larger projects is important, I feel like a lot of folks in the local chapter are wondering if we've accomplished anything - would be great to see if there's a 10,000-foot view of all the projects that are open that are close but need a couple more contributors.

--
-- coleslaw

--
-- coleslaw