[Owasp-leaders] Must be all Local Chapter OWASP activities free for OWASP members?

Juan Calderon juan.calderon at owasp.org
Wed Nov 21 05:51:17 UTC 2012

No, for example some activities like conferences have a inherent cost,
which to obtain money and keep OWASP going. This implies that money have to
flow through the fundation. This might not be the best for your case, but
you can always talk to the board members about it and discuss.

Personally I keep main focus on openness and free as both freedom and
gratis, so I do not charge for talks I give related to OWASP and OWASP
materials and keep cost of OWASP day very low (from 20 to 50 USD)

But I see no reason why you cannot gather money with special events to buy
promotional stuff (like books, banners and pay speakers not covered by
On-the.move project) and promote your own chapter.

However, be careful, *do not* use it for paying yourself or people around
you, *neither compromise OWASP vendor neutrality* with such money gathering
activities.

Again, mailing/talking to the board should give you some more light on the
matter

Regards,
JC