[Owasp-leaders] Use of proprietary software was SVG/AI/EPS

Tony UcedaVelez tonyuv at owasp.org
Sat Nov 10 20:21:12 UTC 2012

Well said DH. Completely agree. +1

Sent from my Windows Phone
From: D H
Sent: 11/10/2012 1:23 PM
To: Dennis Groves
Cc: OWASP Leaders
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] Use of proprietary software was SVG/AI/EPS
Hello Dennis.

I am usually quiet, as I do believe that everyone at OWASP is doing an
exceptional job. Emails such as yours cause me concern though. I have
been involved with open and free software as well as the general
movement for roughly twenty years. While I understand what you are
trying to do you also make it exceptionally hard for a community such as
OWASP to thrive.

Just to give you an example. With my work with Fink we had a contest for
a new Logo a few years back. The turn out was fantastic and I can
guarantee you that would have not been the case if we had required all
the professional designers which volunteered their time to learn a new
tool and install a software they do not know how to use.

We did require the designers to submit their work in a particular format
and they released all rights to their work, but that was about it. You
will never be able to convince someone that their established way of
doing something is not "compatible" with your world. I surf most of the
time using Safari, Firefox and others are installed however that is the
browser I use most.I am not going to change that for OWASP or anyone
else. Using Safari makes me no less suitable to contribute and help than
using Firefox.

In other words, be careful about pushing your beliefs onto others. You
can create in proprietary software and still make the result available
under a license that works for our community. No commercial partner is
going to change the way they do things for you unless you pay them for it.

-d