[Owasp-leaders] Use of proprietary software was SVG/AI/EPS

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Sat Nov 10 18:25:29 UTC 2012

No, its utilitarian ethics <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilitarianism>.

And what I am saying is that if subscribe to OWASP's
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_OWASP#Core_Values>Core
Values<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_OWASP>,
Core Purpose and Code of
Ethics<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_OWASP>that individual
members shouldn't deprive the community at large of
exercising the licenses OWASP and its community have agreed to abide by.

If you want to use proprietary software and formats that is your right.

But it is a half measure, claiming to subscribe to OWASP's values and use a
free culture license, but keep the work in a proprietary format. That is
actually hostility, not a free culture
license.<http://freedomdefined.org/Permissible_restrictions>And it
certainly violates the OWASP ethics of

   - Treat everyone with respect and dignity
   - To avoid relationships that impair — or may appear to impair — OWASP's
   objectivity and independence.

Dennis

--