[Owasp-leaders] A new LinkedIn group for confirmed OWASP members only?

Andy Lewis alewis at owasp.org
Wed Mar 28 13:16:16 UTC 2012

It seems that you see value in this, and the fact that it hit the lists
means that others agree.
I disagree, and in fact see it as damaging, however the compromise seems to
be to make it available on an opt-in basis.
You can brag, and anyone who doesn’t see the world that way need not be
part of that group until they opt in.
Furthermore, by making it opt-in, it’s even MORE exclusive, thus those who
see the value can perceive even more value.
Not my cup of tea, but hopefully opt-in is satisfactory for people on both
sides of this issue.
All the best,
Andy

On 3/27/12 10:53 AM, "Michael Coates" <michael.coates at owasp.org> wrote:

The idea here isn't about changing anything around OPEN. It's simply a
method for people to brag that they support OWASP.  I want that ability.
 I'm proud to support owasp.

Anyone can still come to meetings, access content etc. Nothing is changing
around OPEN.

The idea here is the same as providing a regonline membership card after
you signup as a member (which we do).  We're just bringing the idea into
technology.

-------
Michael Coates | OWASP
michael.coates at owasp.org | @_mwc

On Mar 27, 2012, at 7:39 AM, Chris Schmidt wrote:

I absolutely agree with Andy here. Adding value is the key and this takes
us dangerously close to just becomin another part of the alphabet soup that
people append to their titles and losing relevance. Adding real and
tangible value is the key to increasing our membership.

On Mar 27, 2012 7:23 AM, "Andy Lewis" <alewis at owasp.org> wrote:

I think we’re losing sight of the Mission.  Part of the magic of OWASP is
that it’s OPEN.  Anybody can come to a meeting, paid or not.  If people
aren’t signing up, it’s because there’s no perceived value in signing up.

Having an @owasp.org <http://owasp.org/>  address adds value.

If you want members, add value.  Members-only discounts, members-only
promotions, members-only DefCon backstage passes, etc add value.

I don’t have a specific answer other than this: add value in a way that
doesn’t make us seem like a bunch of people looking down our noses at
non-members.

My 2cents.

On 3/26/12 9:12 PM, "Helen Gao" <helen.gao at owasp.org <http://
helen.gao at owasp.org/> > wrote:

Dear OWASP leaders,

Do you think a new LinkedIn group for confirmed OWASP members will attract
new members? But will it alienate people? A decision will be made in
AppSecDC in April. Please reply with your opinion by Sunday, 4/2/12.

By the way, did you know that the existing Global OWASP Foundation LinkedIn
group <http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Global-OWASP-Foundation-36874> has
more than 10 thousand members? In just one week of March 11, 2012, 86
people joined, 12 discussions took place and 7 jobs were created.

  *A new LinkedIn group for confirmed members *

*What's the issue*:

   - Currently there is a Global OWASP Foundation LinkedIn group <
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Global-OWASP-Foundation-36874> . It is
   free and open.
   - OWASP Confirmed Member <
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=4342746&report%2Esuccess=TAGQm5_B9ecwEPi7AtV-NGJjHoJV7WxoFbipydZrtoVPNQgWOUnL8lZj8v4Fi_efzerGsu5jt1ZNxbgOz-yQ8GA_JKRAMRHOdq9GTte76LaFDnVn3UJvJ9HrtwZdeRxnzSnL05Yi8ixSheCQVUTLJuPjHSEFDntOORiL00SBEWCSCN2GOP53E3gwyQES_UVQ4mMvuF1jt1Z1NDmQIe7vu9PrkoadDQtpb_DnGQi>
   is a subgroup that's designed for paid and honorary members only.

*GMC’s recommendation* – GMC discussed the matter in the March meeting.

   - The existing free and open LinkedIn group <
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Global-OWASP-Foundation-36874>  should
   not be changed or impacted by the new group.
   - The name of the group is OWASP Confirmed Member. Confirmed means paid
   and honorary membership.
   - A new, OWASP Confirmed Member subgroup is a good idea to increase
   membership.
   - The new group should be used as and only as a digital membership card
   which is similar to the printable membership card currently issued at the
   end of a RegOnline payment transaction.
   - There should be no discussion, forum or other content restricted by
   this subgroup. OWASP material will remain free and open.
   - We should avoid wording that alienate people and deviate from the
   OWASP mission. We need to pay attention to content on OWASP website,
   RegOnline, marketing material, etc.
   - Protect member privacy in the subgroup
   - OWASP reserves the right to remove a subgroup member
   - There will be two ways to join the subgroup.
   1. RegOnline – There will be a check box that say something like this: Join
      LinkedIn for OWASP Confirmed Members: Yes/No LinkedIn for OWASP Confirmed
      Members is a …. This a subgroup of Global OWASP Foundation LinkedIn group
      which is open to all LinkedIn members. The default option is No.
      2. LinkedIn – A person can apply to join the subgroup on the webpage
      and a request will be sent to the group administrator. Once the
applicant’s
      email address is confirmed to be a current paid or honorary member then
      he/she will be added to the group.
      - A person will be removed from the group if his/her paid membership
      expires or he/she stops being qualified for honorary status.
      - Open issue - Should all qualified people be automatically added to
   the group or each person has to request to join?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Michael Coates