[Owasp-leaders] FW: Business Logic Security Issues?

Tony UcedaVelez tonyuv at owasp.org
Sat Mar 17 00:46:18 UTC 2012

I strongly suggest a project around this. Any objectives of having this
enumeration and detailing of biz logic weaknesses being engulfed within the
threat modeling project that is due for resurrection?

Tony UV

Sent from my comm device
------------------------------
*To:* owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org
*Cc:* Juan Carlos Calderon Rojas
*Subject:* Re: FW: [Owasp-leaders] Business Logic Security Issues?

Hi Juan,

     I usually treat this as a part of application testing *AND* security
testing, depending on the use case.

For example, one can have a use case that indicates that the data should
not be visible in plain text to a user. In this case, even though it is
both business function as well as security, it becomes imperative that it
is tested as security test case as well.

My approach for cases like these are automated unit test cases, wither
using MSTest or NUnit (for .NET apps) and JUnit (for Java apps). Typically,
these test cases can be caught even when the design is in place. and We
immediately add these to our test suite so that we dont miss the logic
bombs.

>From a testers perspective, it should be treated as Security test case or
Business Logic Bobm test case, it does not matter, as long as it is covered.

Thanks & Regards,

~Venki, Chennai Chapter Leader.