[Owasp-leaders] Business Logic Security Issues?

psiinon psiinon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 09:43:02 UTC 2012

Hi Juan,

I treat these as security issues, and classify them as "application
security" issues.
It would be great if they were picked up in functional testing / QA but I
dont think we can rely on that due to the fact many/most functional testers
lack basic pentest knowledge.
So abusing business/application logic should always be a key part of any
security test.

Testing for them is where pentesters add real value - theres no way you can
automate these sort of tests.
To find such issues you need to really understand the application you are
testing, and then "think bad thoughts" ;)
What is the real purpose of the webapp? What are the critical resources?
Whats the worst case scenario?
How can I abuse the application in ways the developers didnt expect?
I think its very difficult to give generic rules or guidelines as it
depends so much on the application you are testing.

Cheers,

Simon

--
OWASP ZAP: Toolsmith Tool of the Year