[Owasp-leaders] FW: Bounce action notification

Matt Tesauro mtesauro at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 20:40:28 UTC 2012

The spooling was happening for inbound email and for some was lasting up to
2 days.  Basically, Barracuda could handle more incoming mail then Sendmail
was configured for and Sendmail was replying with "421 4.3.2 Connection
rate limit exceeded."  That issue is what was fixed.  We have not looked at
outbound delays.

The way mail is flowing for lists is:

[[ Big scary Internet ]]
          | in and out |
[[ Barracuda SPAM filters ]]
          | in and out |
[[ Sendmail on lists.owasp.org]]

The connections between Barracuda and lists on 25 are restricted via
iptables to only Barracuda's network range which was done during all the
SPAM problem earlier.

One of the other issues we're investigating is how Sendmail + Mailman is
handing off outbound email to Barracuda.  If your reply is in the same mail
as a large number of others which fail, your receipt may be delayed while
those bad addresses are processed.  I've seen hints of this but the
problems were not as large as the inbound spooling (fixed), bounces causing
unsubscribes (in process), outbound delays (next).

BTW, while i was looking for your delayed message, I noticed we're at the
following for the last 30 days:

Inbound email: 220,954 emails
Outbound email: 1,362,355 emails

So its a bit interesting fixing the plane while its flying.  ; )

Also, for the record, we are setting up a new, properly configured Mailman
server (using Postfix) on a Rackspace managed cloud host and hoping to have
that migration done no later then the end of the month.  It is part of our
current migrations of all our hosts from Rackspace public cloud to managed
cloud where Rackspace will take ownership of monitoring, patching the OS,
etc.

--
-- Matt Tesauro
OWASP International Foundation Board Member and Treasurer