[Owasp-leaders] ABORT the OWASP Email Lists

Achim achim at owasp.org
Thu Jun 7 08:13:21 UTC 2012

Is there a decission that lists move to GoogleGroups? I doubt.

Before makeing the move, someone needs to verify that GoogleGroups
satisfies all the needs and (used) features which we currently have
with mailman at lists.owasp.org.

See also the outcome of the Summit 2011 working group about the
mailing lists.

If we detect that something mandatory is missing at the new system
(wether GoogleGroups or whatever), things are more worse than some
delayed or duplicated mails as we have now.

I'm also vexed about the issues we currently have, but changing
anything from ground up may not fix them in short or mid term.

IIRC according some mails in this list, the problems are due to
various migrations last year. So this experience tells us, that
makeing somthing new does not always make it better.
Let's fix the problems we know, instead of risking additional ones.

  #1 priority: fix left-over migration issues (delayed messages)
  #2 priority: fix the SPAM filter
  #3 priority: build an international team who can technical
               administer lists.owasp.org (sendmail, mailman, etc.)
  #4 priority: someone can reread the Summit 2011 outcome and make
               a verification of other systems/tools to be used
               instead of what we currently have
Does this make sense?

Please let's do the work first instead of changing anything.
I don't speak against innovation and experimentation, but please don't
experiment on what is OWASP's spine (mail, website) as long as it's
not proven that it works as needed.
However, if someone sets up a new system, and we then can migrate to
it (using scripts or whatever) and then switch to it, simply do it
we're all fine with that ;-)
No offence meant to anyone or anything and many thanks to the work
Larry and Matt did behind the scenes.

Achim