[Owasp-leaders] ABORT the OWASP Email Lists

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Sun Jun 3 17:08:58 UTC 2012

Jim was in Austin recently and asked me about this.  I have no problem with
list admin's deciding to move lists over to Google groups if they believe
that's best for their recipients/group.  Do what you need to do to further
OWASP's mission.

However, since I talked with Jim, there's some news about lists.owasp.org:

(1) The mail server on lists.owasp.org was setup with very low defaults for
inbound mail.  This was causing a bottle neck and mail was being spooled
for excessively long times on the Barracuda filtering host(s).  I have
since changed Sendmail (ugh) to allow unlimited inbound email from
Barracuda since that is the only source the mail server on lists will
actually answer (both on the firewall and MTA configuration level).
 Additionally, Barracuda already filters out SPAM and spool mail if the
mail server on lists gets overwhelmed (which is doubtful).

(2) Very shortly (I'd say 1 to 2 weeks out, lists.owasp.org will be
migrated to a new host.  One of two options will be used:

Option #1: Migrate to Open Source Labs (OSL) who hosts Mailman lists for
numerous open source projects already.  I am working through the details
and potential problems with that choice currently, though its is the
preferred option.

Option #2:  Migrate to Rackspace managed cloud where the migration will
allow a more optimized mail server configuration and changing from Sendmail
(ugh) to Postfix as the MTA/mail server.  OWASP will still need to manage
Mailman but Rackspace will mange OS, monitor, backup, etc.

In the middle of this Mailman mess, I've had medical issues with family
members, a funeral, am in the middle of relocating my family to San
Antonio, and I have (so far) avoided needing back surgery . Basically, my
spring has sucked. So between working my day job, selling my current house
and finding/buying a new one, I've had very little free time.

For the curious who are still reading this, I've attached a couple of
screenshots from Barracuda to give you an idea of the volume of traffic on
lists.owasp.org:
* blocked-spam.png = a partial listing of the SPAM blocked at 9:02 AM this
morning by Barracuda.  While lists still has issues, we are not seeing a
ton of SPAM thanks to Barracuda.
* inbound-overview.png = an overview of inbound email to lists.
* outbound-overview.png = an overview of outbound emails from lists (note
the 6.6 GB outbound bandwidth on May 28th)

As soon as the migration plan is finalized, I'll let you know.  It looks
the migration will take at most 1 hour of downtime (though Barracuda will
just spool mail during any downtime) so there shouldn't be loss of mail or
a large interruption in service.

Cheers!

--
-- Matt Tesauro