[Owasp-leaders] Fwd: PHP Security Cheat Sheet reboot

Abbas Naderi Afooshteh abbas.naderi at owasp.org
Sun Jul 8 20:13:54 UTC 2012

Hi Achim,
Sorry i'm sharing it with people without your permission, I want a general discussion on the matter.

Let's provide a brief description for others (read more at discussion page of PHP Security Cheat Sheet https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Talk:PHP_Security_Cheat_Sheet)

We have a discussion about whether practice or security comes first. Achim states that error_reporting should be off, as well as upload_files, and disable a list of functions.

I, on the other hand, insist that practice comes first. I say that if we do error_reporting off, since every application needs debugging and debugging needs error reporting, developers are bound to turn it on due to inconvenience and leave it that way. My proposed solution was to provide a basic framework around this that controls error reporting (it should be on in PHP settings) and log errors for usual website user and display it when admin logs in or when in development machine (adaptive code).

Also Achim states that we should disable options like allow_url_fopen, but I'm saying that LFI is insecure enough and can be converted to RFI without much hassle, so we should raise awareness and let developers never do LFI instead of shutting RFI's obvious method.

I want to know your opinion on this, so that I might learn a thing or two.
Humbly
Abbas

PS. I mostly agree with Achim on this topic, but had to separate ways for a more clear discussion on this mail.
Notice: This message is digitally signed, this means that its source and integrity are verifiable.
Certain mail clients would automatically verify this email and present a "signed and sealed" sign, but others might just provide  a downloadable file (smime.p7s), which includes the X.509 certificate and the signature body.
In this case, you can either ignore it or manually verify it. Read more on this at Certified E-Mail with Comodo and Thunderbird at AbiusX.com

Begin forwarded message: