[Owasp-leaders] Security 101 Mailing List?

Dennis Groves, MSc dennis.groves at owasp.org
Fri Jan 27 10:38:14 UTC 2012

Hi Simon,

I understand; as a chapter leader myself. I believe we are uniquely
situated as chapter leaders - we are already reaching out as chapter
leaders. We champion OWASP all the time, growing and maturing our
chapters.

However, it doesn't take long to realise that the same level of outreach
is not being taken by the chapter members in many cases. While your
chapter may be unique - I find that many chapters are quite passive;
people come to hear the experts - and they don't get involved much
beyond 'listening.'

I think we need to understand why this is happening and address it. I
want people to leave chapter meetings to leave empowered to do something
for OWASP; to know exactly how they can get involved and be part of all
the exciting activity. I want those people to go about their lives and
be empowered to become 'the security guy' in their spheres of influence;
and perhaps even start chapters of their own!

But chapters are not the only outreach - people are looking for
'security answers' in a whole lot of places, and many have not yet heard
of OWASP; because they do not even know their problem has a name to
google for. I have even worked with clients who have brought me designs
that include XSS as a feature! They not only haven't heard the good
word; they have rediscovered XSS for themselves and thought it a
feature!

Chapters are good, and chapters are outreach - but clearly, much work
remains to be done. And much of what needs to be done is enabling and
empowering our members to be that outreach to other communities; and
indeed to be the 'security guy' in the communities from witch they have
come.

Dennis