[Owasp-leaders] Security 101 Mailing List?

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Thu Jan 26 19:43:18 UTC 2012

On 26 Jan 2012, at 19:16, Jim Manico wrote:

>> What if a developer could confidently know that the best place in the
> world to turn for input validation is OWASP?
>
> I feel we serve the developer community better if "we go to them"
> instead of requiring them "to come to us".

Indeed Jim, your are touching upon a very important and critical idea.
In fact, Dinis & I were just talking about this on the phone.

This is exactly what is required; we need more evangelism as Guy
Kawasaki would say.
In fact OWASP needs to encourage and enable OWASP members to work
externally with others.

If we don't leave the OWASP community, we get blue blooded, our ideas
become stale, and indeed, we fail to be the Open inclusive community we
strive to be; and we become insular and exclusive. We fail for all the
same reasons that communities before OWASP failed… Even if we were to
find the magical security answer among ourselves, it would be worthless
unless we shared. :-)

Reaching out and helping others (not waiting for them to come to us),
co-operating, communicating and being friendly and helpful. That is
totally where it is at.

Cheers,

Dennis