[Owasp-leaders] Security 101 Mailing List?

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Thu Jan 26 18:50:01 UTC 2012

Dennis, to be fair, the ESAPI project is trying to create some if the
things you're asking for. There are also a number of Encoding APIs at OWASP

But as they can vouch for, it's a tough one to crack

Dinis Cruz

On 26 Jan 2012, at 18:07, Dennis Groves <dennis.groves at owasp.org> wrote:

On 26 Jan 2012, at 17:11, Magno Logan wrote:

Great idea Michael,

I think that developers really need that way of asking basic questions
about app security. Most of them don't learn about it during University and
that would be a great place to teach them and show our resources.

Here my 2¢ - I have been thinking about this for a while; so feedback is
appreciated and desired:

Take for an example the advice to do *input validation* -

In my 10 years of application security - not once has anybody described *how
*.

What is a developer to make of that? And where advice is given it is very
inconsistent and sometimes contradictory.

If regular expressions are the best way of doing things - then when do you
use a DFA, and when do you use NFA and why? What are the tradeoffs? When is
it better to use one over the other? When is it better to inspect your
tainted strings yourself? How do you rebuild them so you are able to treat
them as clean?

Further, where is the OWASP *regex* library that I can turn to to grab a
DFA or NFA that validates commonly required inputs in applications - like
Names, emails, phone numbers, credit-cards, addresses, etc….

What if a developer could confidently know that the best place in the world
to turn for input validation is OWASP?

That is an exciting solution; and one that would create enormous value.
And one that while difficult - hasn't been built.

Cheers,

Dennis

I'm up for it 100%.

Best Regards,

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Seba seba at owasp.org wrote:

http://myowasp.ning.com/ has spam entries in the forum
we should probably put some moderation on that on (or bring it offline)?

--Seba

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.orgwrote:

We have a link to “community forums” from the main page of the wiki that
goes to an established ning site. http://myowasp.ning.com/****
------------------------------

Could we leverage this somehow?****
------------------------------