[Owasp-leaders] Owasp at GitHub.com

Martin Holst Swende martin.holst_swende at owasp.org
Wed Jan 25 18:44:02 UTC 2012

On 01/25/2012 01:46 PM, Dennis Groves wrote:
>> And the other +1 for git is that it is great for managing both code & documents; so it aids in not only the code projects but also in doing the OWASP guide and the like. It becomes a matter of people forking and contributing by pushing their changes back - dead simple when forking is a feature and not a dreaded fear of the versioning system.
> On the other hand while GitHub is popular, Bitbucket (https://bitbucket.org/) is well worth a look as well...

I use Bitbucket quite a lot (https://bitbucket.org/holiman), among other
things for the Hatkit project. Both Git and Mercurial (hg) are modern
distributed version control systems, as opposed to a centralised version
controls system a'la subversion and cvs. There are a few more (darcs,
bazaar etc), but these two seem to have a wide spread. I love it
(personally I prefer hg, but that's just a preference) for a number of
reasons.

Regarding bitbucket as a provider, I have only good things to say. Start
a repo and you have wiki and an issue tracker, ability to integrate with
google analytics for statistics and nice stuff such as uploading
personal key to increase security.

I believe they also have free hosting plans for open source projects
such as OWASP.

So, I recommend it, but I don't see any reason to coerce people/projects
into any specific provider.

/Martin Holst Swende