[Owasp-leaders] Owasp at GitHub.com

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Wed Jan 25 09:23:22 UTC 2012

Yeah man, the more I use GitHub the more I like it.

Git (with or without GitHub) is a great fit for Owasp.

Question: how do we harvest and share  the current collective knowledge
that exists at Owasp around Git? Should we setup a mailing list?

Dinis Cruz

On 25 Jan 2012, at 07:35, Erlend Oftedal <Erlend.Oftedal at bekk.no> wrote:

  +1 for Github!

*Rationale*

Github is a social coding platform. What does that mean? Anyone can submit
a pull request (esentially a patch). An admin of the project can easily
review the suggested patch, comment on it (discuss with submitter and
everyone else) and even merge in simple patches from the web without even
opening a source control system.

Any commit can be commented on by anyone, even down to single lines of
code. I bet this can be really useful in review processes as OWASP people
sit around the world. Being able to discuss code directly in the context of
code is really useful.

*Why git instead of SVN?*

Using git instead of SVN, also makes it easy to create feature branches,
allowing you to explore and collaborate on a piece experimental or new
code, and resubmit it back to the master when it's stable or discard it if
you decide you don't want it in master after all.

And it's blazingly fast as well.

 *ERLEND W. OFTEDAL*
MANAGER
+47 982 19 335

erlend.oftedal at bekk.no | www.bekk.no | open.bekk.no

BEKK CONSULTING AS
AKERSHUSSTRANDA 21 SKUR 39
P.O.BOX 134 SENTRUM, 0102 OSLO, NORWAY

The content of this email is confidential and intended only for the person
to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosing,
copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
immediately, and delete the content, if you have received this email by
mistake.