[Owasp-leaders] Adding OWASP ModSecurity CRS to OWASP Live CD

Chuck Willis chuck at securityfoundry.com
Tue Jan 24 01:26:30 UTC 2012

Another option to consider is the OWASP Broken Web Apps VM
(www.owaspbwa.org - full disclosure, I lead that project).  It has
WebGoat (and a bunch of other vulnerable web applications) already set
up, along with ModSecurity and the CRS.  The CRS rules are disabled by
default so that the applications are easily exploited.  Once the VM is
started, run owaspbwa-modsecurity-crs-block.sh (or
owaspbwa-modsecurity-crs-log.sh) to enable blocking (or logging) using
the CRS.  You can later run owaspbwa-modsecurity-crs-off.sh to disable
the rules again.

I'm realizing now that this isn't really documented anywhere.  I'll
work on correcting that.

Chuck