[Owasp-leaders] Owasp at GitHub.com

Matt Tesauro mtesauro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:52:02 UTC 2012

Rex,

You raise a point the board is aware of - the tricky thing is finding the
balance between open and easy experimentation and sustainable systems.

For what I'd call our "core" services (e.g. Quickbook, our payroll service,
etc) we've started collecting them and escrowing admin passwords and/or
creating multiple admins.  We're trying to avoid any "hit by a bus"
problems - that is any key person could be unavailable suddenly and
operations would be able to continue.  Next are things like the social
sites (Twitter, Linked In, ...)

However, one of the cool things about OWASP is the freedom to experiment.
 From my recollection, the GitHub account was setup to check out how it
works and possibly start a OWASP repo there.  It was never an "official" or
mandatory thing and from what I recall, it wasn't even an Global Project
Committee initiative.  All of which is just fine.  The trick comes when the
community wants to embrace an experiment and move it from something the
community is checking out to a "real" OWASP thing.

I know the GPC has done lots of work on the process of transitioning a
project from an experimental status to a more production ready status.
 Perhaps we need to look at that process as a skeleton for external
services migrating from an experiment to more permanent.

Unfortunately, in finding the right gap between too much and too little
process, things will fall through the cracks.  This appears to be one of
them.

Dinis:  I'd suggest you reach out to GitHub directly and see what they can
do.  If having a current board member helps convince them you're legit, let
me know and I'll gladly make the request on your behalf.

Cheers!

--
-- Matt Tesauro
OWASP Board Member