[Owasp-leaders] Commercial use of OWASP products

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Sun Jan 8 03:24:22 UTC 2012

Hello Juan,

I strongly believe in Liberty. Liberty requires free software (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) and free documentation (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-doc.html) (other licenses miss the point (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html)). Thus, when I started OWASP we published under the GNU Licences (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/). The importance of liberty is more critical that ever. Proposals like SOPA (http://gizmodo.com/5870241/presented-without-comment-every-single-company-supporting-sopa-the-awful-internet-censorship-law) could easily take-away enough liberties that even OWASP could no longer exist!

Ideally people would contribute to OWASP under the GNU Licenses (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/). Thus, I highly encourage people to use the GNU licenses (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/) as appropriate in their projects. This is the license that most guarentees liberty for everybody and thus to do the greatest good.

The O in OWASP is for Open; and the word open does not stand for 'open source' - the word open in OWASP is denotes inclusive. Many security groups when OWASP was founded were exclusive and closed, members only clubs. Some even required fees to participate! Others are virtually secret societies that you can not join unless enough other people 'vouch' for you. Those exclusive groups have done very little if anything to improve the state of security. In contrast, OWASP has an enormous track record of success and impact demonstarting the very power and importance of inclusion. Note that open/inclusion is also transparency by its very nature, since it is open to all.

Therefore, if people are not comfortable with the GNU Licesnes (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/) for whatever reason, I would prefer that people join and contribute to OWASP in whatever way is comfortable with their beliefs after all we are open to people who do not share our values - this is not an exclusive club! Once they experience the amazing energy and people of OWASP, I hope they will come to share our beliefs in liberty and understand why other liceneses miss the point (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html), and then they can then choose the appropriate GNU license (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/) at that time.

Cheers,

Dennis

--
Dennis Groves (http://about.me/dennis.groves), MSc