[Owasp-leaders] [GPC] Remote Repositories on SourceForge

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Thu Jan 5 07:18:09 UTC 2012

Christian,

We are using SourceForge as a mechanism to organize our project metadata
and display our library of projects in a consumable fashion. The code
repository functions and other features of SourceForge are *available* to
project leaders, but they are not required to use SourceForge as their code
repository. It is an *option* for project leaders and a choice to be made
by the project leader. My understanding is that the ESAPI project decided
to transition to SourceForge, as is their choice.

Regarding mailing lists, a combination of automated processes and OWASP
staff largely maintain the mailing lists. Management of mailing lists is
not a GPC responsibility. Nonetheless, Kate explains in the very thread you
cite explains the mechanism that creates the leader's list, which explains
your prior predicament.

Regarding selection of SourceForge, as has been previously mentioned, we
had an open RFP for project infrastructure. We evaluated the proposals we
received and chose the best candidate proposal (
http://sl.owasp.org/gpcws-jun11-proceedings#h.4z9gh8ff79fg). There will
always be concerns about decisions and choices made, but organizations
cannot stand perpetually waiting for the fictional perfect solution that
simultaneously solves everything and is amenable to 100% of the audience.
Organizations do the best that they can with what the responses they
receive.

-Jason