[Owasp-leaders] Full time OWASP evangelist...

Steve Kosten steve.kosten at owasp.org
Fri Dec 14 17:39:59 UTC 2012

All,

I also think OWASP has done amazingly well in educating the community on
application security with extremely limited dedicated resources.  As Jerry
stated, while we have a motivated and very talented volunteer base, perhaps
more is needed to achieve the mission of the organization.  And as Dennis
pointed out, there are *so* many areas where we have function while being
woefully understaffed.

I think we need to ask ourselves, in terms of our mission, where do we want
to be in 5 years?  Do we see OWASP operating much as it is today with
dedicated support staff reporting to the board (as this is my current
understanding).  Or do we see dedicated full time leadership running the
OWASP day to day activities with support staff while still reporting to the
board.  Perhaps other options.

While I have not been exposed to the finances of OWASP, I would expect, as
Jerry stated, that a full-time leadership position could rapidly pay for
himself/herself and would put us on a stronger foundation for achieving our
stated mission through the next five years.  By leveraging existing work
and progress, such a leader could develop additional revenue for the
organization through training and other means, all of which would be
actions towards fulfilling our mission.  Sure, we would need revenue
through sponsorship or other means initially, but I believe we can sell a
vision that would be rapidly attainable.

To quickly list a few things off, I could see:

   - More training for outreach that also funds the organization
   - More support for chapters in lining up speakers for meetings
   - More regional conferences that help fund local chapters and the
   organization
   - Very strong project management and project oversight to help ensure
   our projects are successful in fulfilling our mission goals

My humble thoughts (and always willing to help w/ any of this).

Steve Kosten (Denver chapter lead)