[Owasp-leaders] 2012 Rugged Summit

John Steven John.Steven at owasp.org
Fri Aug 31 02:11:54 UTC 2012

Jeff,

I think at best you've overstated.

[Role Ideas]
Cursory consideration shows Rugged's ideas for each role are covered
by BSIMM3 activities and often overwhelming precedent exists. A
notable exception I found is "Model your data instead of using
strings" [*MS]. Those unfamiliar with BSIMM should take note: several
BSIMM respondents implement the activities they're credited with using
developers, as implied by the Rugged Handbook. When the study refers
to QA it references the function not necessarily the staff-in-role.

[Prairie Dogs]
Ken Van Wyk (and others) have written extensively on the concept of
integrating post-deployment personnel and monitoring in a feedback
loop affecting policy, architecture, and development. Several
organizations in multiple verticals do this effectively now. I'm glad
this notion has gained buzz under the term DevOps. I, as well as many
of the organizations I've had the pleasure to work with, believe that
several advantages to both development and operations come from their
interaction.

[Ant Colonies]
I covered, published, and presented the concept of creating a
multi-stakeholder security initiative as early as 2003 at S3-con under
the name of ESSF (*link no longer available). Look at material I
published again in '06 [*EF], and McGraw's "Software Security" [*SS]
and you'll find the five (5) roles described on page 11 of the Rugged
Handbook [*RR]. Many organizations which have progressed past the
"one-man-shop" model in multiple verticals integrate these
stakeholders effectively now.

[Musk Oxen]
Again, easily tied to BSIMM activities and a key component of
organizations' strategies. Though, this topic's coverage in the
handbook is naive for organizations with more than one web app.

[Beavers]
Pravir Chandra fought vehemently (and in my opinion knowledgeably and
presciently) for what became "Software Environment" in the BSIMM SSF
and in a form I prefer: "Deployment" in OpenSAMM.

[Honeybadgers, BigHorns, and Humans]
Again, well-trodden territory.

[Sum]
I'm excited folk within the OWASP community have come to the
conclusion that Application Security is more than just Top-10 lists,
penetration testing, and training. I'm thrilled that a focus on
developers has emerged and that this focus has not precluded
architecture, operational, and executive stakeholder out-reach.

For those who like the ideas prescribed to each role in the Rugged
Handbook, I'd suggest consider all the activities in BSIMM (*CC). In
its SSF you may find some other pursuits well-suited to your
particular organization, maturity, and strengths. You won't find
effective explanation of HOW to do these things though--not there. The
good news is that each activity has been found in *at least* three (3)
organizations. This means that someone has likely written something
public you can find and consume to help you with more specifics "who",
"what", and "how".

The notion of a security story may be a solid organizing framework for
those just beginning their journey from one-man-shop to three-man
practice. I expect that if it's to gain traction, Rugged's notion of
"proving it" is going to have to mature dramatically and explicitly
weave itself amongst the "ideas", "budget", "measurement", and
"outreach" dimensions. Personal experience has shown this is where
many trip up. So, to me, fleshing these interactions out further is
essential.

[Assurance - Bonus]
And this leads us back to the Handbook's largely implied notion of
"assurance" that Jeff mentions specifically in his email. His quote
from Training Day aptly hits why most "mature" and "expensive"
security practices (and vendors, for that matter) have much room for
improvement. Yet, despite a large body of existing software assurance
work *[SA], I don't see much reference at all in the Handbook to what
we can do to 1) specifically and concretely improve traditional
activities or 2) augment/replace those activities with ones that will
produce a more risk-driven and iron-clad assurance case. This, I
believe is a "brass ring" worth reaching for. However,
higher-assurance software typically comes with a level of formality
beyond the appetite of commercial software.

[insert Mars Lander analogy here].

-jOHN
--
Phone: 703.727.4034
Rss: http://feeds.feedburner.com/M1splacedOnTheWeb

* [CC] - The documentation is open source and you can download it,
edit it, and fork it for your own use as you see fit.
* [EF] - https://buildsecurityin.us-cert.gov/bsi/568-BSI/version/2/part/4/data/Steven_IEEE_SP.pdf?branch=main&language=default
* [MS] - Developer idea #2 - A Solid suggestion. One I've made and
actually implemented in several Enterprises. This, however, is less of
cultural change and more of a secure design pattern. I prefer a former
name: "Maintain type-safety of data". Strings are, of course, only one
of many offensive catch-all types that defeat such safety.
* [RR] - technology execs, testers, developers, architects, and security folk
* [SA] - Here I'm referring to the "Software Assurance" work of the
'70's and 80's and even 90's, not the US Government's SwAF.
* [SS] - Chapter 10, in particular, though throughout.