[Owasp-leaders] Why it's ok to pay leaders

Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman buanzo at buanzo.com.ar
Thu Apr 12 15:28:12 UTC 2012

Yeah. Why is this such a huge problem? If the board decides that, FOR NOW, no leader gets paid or
whatever, then it's fine as long as the board has voted on that. This might change in the future.
I was able to focus on Enigform because of the money OWASP gave me at that time. And the plane
tickets and hotel rooms and meals it paid me and countless others.

The problem is not taking the 'security vision' into account: projects are continuous processes.
owasp is a project. the state of things can change. other funding models might be tested.

What I don't want is owasp attempting to determine amounts that should be paid depending on where
someone is from, or the personal situation of anybody. If I accept an amount of money to do
something, it's my problem. it can make a lot of a difference. or little one, but that'd be MY
problem, and not OWASP's. That's where I don't agree with Dinis.

On 04/12/2012 12:18 PM, Eoin wrote:
> I'm afraid that is not true. The 2008 summer of code, leaders were paid. Great projects were
> delivered. https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pAX6n7m2zaTXOoAbaMx5CSA
>

> Can we let the board decide this matter. its what the board is here to do. Lets not have a
> civil war about this....either way the goal is to try an get our projects up and running again
> and foster new ones, right? :0)
>

> On 12 April 2012 16:05, Dennis Groves <dennis.groves at owasp.org
> <mailto:dennis.groves at owasp.org>> wrote:
>
> Its not open to all, OWASP leaders must not be paid by OWASP. Did you not read Dinis's
> message? You seem to fail to understand that OWASP has been down this route of paying its
> leaders at least twice and it failed both times.
>
> Once you go down that route you destroy OWASP's meritocracy and cease to be the an open social
> organization.
>
> You create a corporation; and corporations are closed not open. You don't for example share
> openly the salaries of all the different paid employees with each other. Why? Did you watch
> the TED talk about morality in animals? Even monkeys refuse to work under such conditions. So,
> you must start closing OWASP. This is no longer OWASP its CWASP.
>
> You are right this shouldn't need to be up for discussion, but clearly some of members still
> fail to understand that this is the very fabric of OWASP and that we not only is paying OWASP
> leaders verboten; it is tantamount destroying OWASP, and I know you are not advocating this!
> :-)
>
> *I have choose just a single problem,that would result - Dinis has identified over 15 in his
> email that would require resolutions to make it work*
>

> -- Dennis Groves <http://about.me/dennis.groves>, MSc dennis.groves at owasp.org
> <mailto:dennis.groves at owasp.org>
>
> <http://www.owasp.org/>
>
> /This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0
> Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444
> Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA./
>

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 15:08, Kenneth Van Wyk <ken at krvw.com <mailto:ken at krvw.com>> wrote:
>
> OK, gotta chime in. I've followed this thread, and frankly, I can't even imagine why it's up
> for discussion.
>
> If OWASP has money to fund a project/event/whatever, AND
>
> Bidding on that funded effort is open to all, AND
>
> There is a fair and equitable selection process, with appropriate checks and balances, removal
> of conflicts of interest, AND
>
> An OWASP Leader happens to be selected, THEN
>
> It's a win for everyone.
>
> OWASP gets the effort from the person(s) selected.
>
> The selected person(s) gets revenue for his/her efforts.
>
> I mean, DUH! Why aren't we all doing a face-palm over this non-issue?
>
> Please explain what I'm missing here.

> [...]

- --
⁂ Arturo "Buanzo" Busleiman ⁂ - MUSICA: soundcloud.com/no-carrier
Independent Linux and Security Consultant - 16+y of IT exp. at your service .
OWASPer - http://www.buanzo.com.ar/pro/eng.html                             ..: