[Owasp-leaders] Why OWASP can't pay OWASP Leaders

Antonio Fontes antonio.fontes at owasp.org
Wed Apr 11 13:49:18 UTC 2012

Hi Eoin,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I mean that leaders duties don't include
contributing to projects. Not that they should not contribute to them if
they want to.

Now,if we look at the example of stale OWASP projects that were started
by their leaders, they also stopped evolving because their leader
stopped contributing for it.

The explanation is simple: these leaders enhanced their role to
contributors (even from the begining) instead of looking for
contributors. Suddenly, for availability or motivation reasons, they
could not continue investing time in their project and didn't even
realize they were also giving up their leadership responsibilities.

This results in a quite perverse situation because it may actually
refrain motivated contributors from working on a project because there
is no leadership in it.

A leader should be a leader first. If he/she suddenly wants to
contribute to the project AND if she/he can afford it without
sacrificing the leadership responsibility, only on these conditions
should he/she contribute.

That's what I meant :)

--
Antonio Fontes