[Owasp-leaders] On Project Reboots

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Tue Apr 10 23:04:38 UTC 2012

> The key issue that we need to agree and move on (so that we find
> solutions), is that '*Simulating those projects by paying OWASP Leaders to
> work on it , is NOT an option'*

I'd like to understand why not.

If we can set aside money that is for a season of code style funding, or is used for research interns to work on projects, then it seems like a good move.  The end result is high quality security material that is free and open to the world.  I am also happy with the idea of bringing in fresh new graduates to dive deeper into security areas.  Combined with established and experienced leaders you can get some great results.

There are a variety of ways to structure this pay.  It doesn't have to be an actual outsource setup where we are attempting to compete with the market. I felt like the summer of code we held was a good method. It provided a bit of a financial incentive and set up deadlines, deliverables and expectations in order to be considered a success.

The end goal is to provide free and open source security materials, tools, etc.  I'd rather explore a variety of options instead of claiming that we can't fund research/development for these projects in some way.

-------
Michael Coates | OWASP
michael.coates at owasp.org | @_mwc