[Owasp-leaders] On Project Reboots

Chris Schmidt chris.schmidt at owasp.org
Tue Apr 10 17:42:27 UTC 2012

I think that statement is fine and dandy for an organization like
Hibernate (which is one of your examples of this I think) - Hibernate
and SpringSource both have Full-Time Employees that work on their
open-source software for competitive full time wages. This is a totally
different situation. Our funds are much more limited in this scenario
and I believe it is much more worthwhile for the project leaders to come
to the organization with specific proposals about requests for funds and
what they intend to use them for as opposed to the organization
determining that these *n* projects will now be *paid* sub-par rates.

To John's point, if the Dev Guide is truly an important project, then
why hasn't there been more of a demand for it and why hasn't someone
just picked up and gotten it done by now. We may think it is important,
and I agree that at one point it probably was - but if there is no
energy behind a project, simply throwing money at it doesn't solve the
bigger problem. It may slow the bleeding, it may even result in a new
finished product, but what is our return on that product (not purely
financially speaking) - especially if there is not an industry need for
it any more b/c things like the Cheat Sheets series have basically
replaced them.

There are really an infinite amount of reasons that throwing money at
projects and project leaders is generally a bad idea - I'm sure I don't
need to iterate all of them.

If we are going to pay developers FT or Contractor wages to work on a
project, that is a completely different story, however that was not what
I got out of the whole thing. We want to pay the existing project teams
a stipend to motivate them to do the work they already signed up for to
do as volunteers and have neglected to do. This in essence, as I already
stated, is rewarding inactive project leaders and members for bad behavior.